StudentsReview :: Boston University - Extra Detail about the Comment
Search for Schools by Region

or within distance of city

Similar Schools
Boston College -- Chestnut Hill, MA
New York University -- New York, NY
George Washington University -- District of Columbia, DC

  Who's got the Best?

Perceptual Rankings:
You Make 'Em.
We Post 'Em.
You Vote 'Em Up.
You Vote 'Em Down.
Aww yeah.

Boston University

How this student rated the school
Educational QualityC- Faculty AccessibilityF
Useful SchoolworkB+ Excess CompetitionC
Academic SuccessF Creativity/ InnovationB
Individual ValueF University Resource UseF
Campus Aesthetics/ BeautyF FriendlinessF
Campus MaintenanceF Social LifeF
Surrounding CityD- Extra CurricularsF
Describes the student body as:
Arrogant, Broken Spirit

Describes the faculty as:
Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Not so bright
Lowest Rating
Faculty Accessibility
Highest Rating
Useful Schoolwork
He cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Apr 02 2009
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
You can spell bullshit or bureaucracy without BU. It's amazing how hated this school is among the kids that go here. Who the fuck really cares about hockey? We're ranked #1 in the nation and I don't know anyone who's been to a game. There are no school-sponsored, on-campus activities worth going to also.

The dorms are disgusting, especially for the price we pay. My dorm freshman year had mice, too much heat 24/7 (even in the summer), and the elevators broke every week (fucked me because I lived on the 13th floor).

And tuition? It's 39,900 now! Add 11 grand for housing and another 4 grand (mandatory) for a dining plan. That's a fuckin ton, and for what? No one knows where this money goes. I can tell you where it doesn't go: dorms, cafeteria, or facilities. And it's worse now because of the recession. To respond to the recession, BU only hiked up their tuition 4% rather than 5%. Even with the price hike, things like the gym hours, dining hall stations, etc… are all being lessened. If BU had a creed, it would echo Gordon Gecko's "greed is good". You'll find hidden fees that you couldn't have foreseen in your wildest dreams.

At the school of management you'll find some good professors. You'll also find some that wouldn't pass a first year english class, and some that must only be teaching because they got fired from whatever cubicle position they couldn't keep. And then there's the grade deflation; BU claims that they don't deflate grades, ALL the other schools are inflating theirs. HUH? Other schools have an average gpa around a 3.2, and BU has one around 2.75? That seems like grade deflation (and we've all felt it, hard). The biggest problem with grade deflation is that when you work your ass of for a 3.3, how will that translate to employers looking at less qualified applicants who got an 3.6 at their respective school. There's no class rank or anything on our transcripts to give them any perspective. That would make sense, and BU isn't about making sense. They advise their grads to have "faith" that employers know BU and that they know BU is tough on grading.

And pay no attention to the "the surrounding city of Boston is amazing". Lets look at the facts; if you're not 21, you can cut out 90% of the "fun" that they talk about in Boston (they're tough on fakes so don't bother, mine got taken fast). So the other 10% is fine if you have any money to spend after the 55 grand price-tag. Taxis, the T, restaurants, concerts… all expensive as hell.

Finally, the off-campus parties, since you won't be going to any on campus… This is recent to pay attention. BU has cracked down on busting them. There's one area where most off-campus parties are and BU knows it. This last year has been worse than ever since BU has started busting parties with the Boston PD. Effectively, there's nothing to do. And if you do get into a party, you'll (a) leave cause it's busted or (b) leave cause its ridiculous.

Picking a college is, for most of you, the most important decision you'll make in your life as a young-adult. Don't make the mistake of coming here, especially when there are so many better choices. I want my 200 grand back, but more importantly, I want my four wasted years back.

Ask a Question or add a response!
Compare BUSave BU